Sunday, December 19, 2010

What Is Up With Expectations?
12/19/2010 05:32:00 PM

What Is Up With Expectations?

In the case of uncertainty, expectation is what is considered the most likely to happen. An expectation, which is a belief that is centered on the future, may or may not be realistic. A less advantageous result gives rise to the emotion of disappointment. If something happens that is not at all expected it is a surprise. An expectation about the behavior or performance of another person, expressed to that person, may have the nature of a strong request, or an order.

-Wikipedia

–noun
1.
the act or the state of expecting: to wait in expectation.
2.
the act or state of looking forward or anticipating.
3.
an expectant mental attitude: a high pitch of expectation.
4.
something expected; a thing looked forward to.
5.
Often, expectations. a prospect of future good or profit: to have great expectations.
6.
the degree of probability that something will occur: There is little expectation that he will come.

-Dictionary.com



I've never been good dealing with this word. All my life I've been expecting things to happen, good or bad, without having the ability to hold or keep myself from doing it. No one can. Well what usually happens to me is good expectations never turn out the way I hoped for it to. On the other hand, bad expectations usually come out just the way I imagined it.

I mean, it's good having expectations for good things to happen. It makes you dwell in positivity. Could give you motivation and encourages you to do whatever, asuming good results will follow. I say bad expectations are alright as well. It makes you anticipate the worst. And no, I guess we can't help controlling them. Oh blame the conscience of us human.

I wonder though, perhaps we can somehow try to bound these expections. What I'm saying is, we often set our expectations too high, that we end up getting disappointed in the end. Like said before, we do this if things are most likely to happen, bur for some extrinsic reason, they just don't happen.. or happens in a way that totally differs from what you had in mind. Life don't always go your way, I've known that all along.
I've been going through this a lot of times before. And yes, I've always made a note to myself not to over-expect things because you know that when you do, it certainly won't happen. And yeah, it's always true. I keep pretending not to hear these little voices when I get high hopes for something. Then, getting the unwanted results just as (also) expected. But occasionally, when things turn out the way you want them to, I don't get all surprised and overjoyed. Instead I seem to be telling myself 'see.. toldya it would happen', and smile, and enjoy the content.

For those of you who know me, it's clear enough that I often panic too much. I easily get worried, which usually follows bad expectations. You see, it kinda irritates people and myself sometimes. So I need to manage this as well. Just... how is the question.








How do you deal with disappointments after such wishful pictures set in mind?


0 Comments: